Monday, November 24, 2008

Lab D

Lab D was an interesting experience. For this lab we had to use technology and so I decided to continue with my square dancing unit. What I wanted from students was to learn and become proficient with the square dancing skills that we had previously taught them. I planned to split the class up into two groups. One group I had planned to be the group who had past experience with dance so they would get the more challenging skills. This was done to incorporate intra-task variation into the lesson. Each group got three skills. What I wanted them to do was, as a group, video tape themselves performing the skills. I did this because by having them say the cues then perform the cues it is learning through the physical and helping them to learn the skills. This lesson concentrated more on the affective and cognitive domains. While the students are still being active by performing the skills they are working on the cognitive domain but having remember the cues and writing them down in the written assessment. They are focusing on the affective domain by working together as a group to get the task done. As you can see in my time coding form there was a lot of instruction that had to be done fore this activity and less activity done in this lesson them previous lesson.
That was the plan of my lesson but of course, nothing ever goes according to plan. I had two surprises during my lesson. In previous Lab D lessons when other classmates where teaching, the students acted out with behavioral problems. When planning my lesson I was figuring out what would happen if that happened to me, what would I do?
Well there were no behavioral problems for me. Adam was my ESL student and Michelle was a student with a visual disability. These were curveballs that really threw me. With Adam’s situation I was really stumped. I made sure he had a partner to show him what to do but I knew that wasn’t enough. If this was a situation where I knew I was going to have him in my class I would be prepared but this was right on the spot. When it was time for the written assessment I went over to him and made him show me and draw out what he did. In Michelle’s case the only thing I could think of on the spot was what I did when I was a monitor or a student who was blind in my school. I was told to let the student hold my elbow and lead him to where he had to go and tell him if he had to take a step or anything else. This activity was perfect because by saying the cues Michelle would know what to do whether it was to clap or skip and follow in the direction that Brandy took her.
Those 15 minutes in which I had to teach went by very fast. I was a little disappointed with my performance. I felt that it could have gone a little smoother and I feel like I missed a couple of points I wanted to touch on. If you read my transcript you can see that some problems with it is that I talked way too fast at some parts, almost to the point where I couldn’t even understand what I was saying myself. My feedback however was better. Because I didn’t have to talk throughout the whole lesson I was able to go over to the individual students and give them positive feedback. This is just another lesson that will help me in becoming a Rockstar teacher in the future.

1 comment:

Stephen Yang said...

Maria,
You had a lot of great things planned out but as you mentioned yourself you need to simplify what you want to accomplish and slow it down a bit. You adjusted really well to the different situations thrown your way.
Keep on shining! SY